I love me some Key Lime Pie! I think it’s my favorite of all time so what better way to celebrate Pi Day, March 14th. It’s deliciously sweet and tart combination is surprisingly easy too.
As the bottom of the pie pan says, “Pie Fixes Everything”. Amen!
Graham Cracker Crust (you can always use store bought)
- 2/3 cup of finely crushed graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- Combine all three ingredients and mix well.
- Press firmly into the bottom and ¾ a way up the sides of a pie plate.
Key Lime Pie
- ½ cup of key lime juice (usually next to the regular lime juice on the fruit juices aisle)
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 oz. can of sweet condensed milk
- Combine all three ingredients in a bowl.
- With mixer, blend until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bakes at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and chill in fridge for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Garnish with meringue or whip topping.
@megganspicer on Instagram
Easy Pie Crust (yield single crust)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
6 to 8 Tablespoons ice cold water
Rolling Out Pie Crust
1. Sift flour & salt together.
2. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender (see below image) until shortening pieces are the half size of peas. If you don’t have a pastry blender, you cans use a fork or blend with food processor.
3. Sprinkle dry mixture with two tablespoons of cold water.
4. Mix with clean hands.
5. Repeat until all is moistened.
6. Form dough into a 2 ball.
7. Chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Place a ball onto a floured surface & slightly flatten with hands.
9. With rolling pin, roll from the center to the edges from all angles until dough is 1/8 of an inch thick.
10. Turn pie plate upside down & cut dough an inch wider than the pie plate all the way around.
11. Gently fold dough in half.
12. Fold in half again so it’s a quarter of the size of the full circle.
13. Lay into the pie plate. Unfold the two folds until fully opened & push into the edges of the pie pan.
14. Use unbaked or blind baked (pre-baked) per the directions of your favorite pie recipe.
15. Save a slice for me!!!
@megganspicer on Instagram
Though I’ll still continue to share frugal fabulous $5 Family Fun Projects, I’m excited to begin expanding to share much, much more in the near future. One of those being recipes since cooking and baking are hobbies of mine. So since it’s National Dessert Day, what better way to begin to share more than to post a tasty recipe for Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie.
Chocolate Caramel Pecan Pie
I’ll post a fast & easy pie crust recipe soon but for the sake of this post, feel free to use store-bought, pre-made pie crust.
- 1 store-bought, pre-made pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 3 ounces finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/8 cup caramel chips, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Bring pie crust to room temperature. Unroll pie crust and lay into a 9-inch pie pan pressing it into the sides and edges. Any excess crust dough around the top edge, fold under and press.
- Fill the bottom of the pie crust with pecans, chocolate and caramel chips.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs until they have a white foamy appearance. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and whisk again until all is well combined. Pour mixture into the pie crust on top of the pecans, chocolate and caramel.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes. Insert knife into center to make sure filling is set and is no longer soupy. Cover edges with crust protector or aluminum foil to keep from over browning or burning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- (personal suggestion) Serve with a glass of milk and enjoy.
Happy National Dessert Day!!!
#nationaldessertday, http://www.facebook.com/megganspicer, http://www.pinterest.com/megganspicer, @megganspicer on Instagram