Looking for a completely different flavor profile for your Thanksgiving leftover turkey? Substitute chicken with turkey to make this light and flavorful Chicken Tostadas with Avocado Cream Sauce recipe.
- 4 tablespoons of low-fat sour cream
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 peeled, ripe avocado
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons diced green chilis
- 2 cups shredded or finely chopped cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup shredded white Mexican cheese mix or crumbled quest fresco
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- In a pan, combine next 4 ingredients and warm under medium low heat.
- Heat the next ingredient (1 tablespoon vegetable oil) in skillet. Add tortillas one at a time. Brown & puff on one side, then flip and repeat each on the other side. Pat each dry with paper towels.
- Place tortilla on a plate. Top with chicken mixture. Then top with vegetables, avocado cream sauce & shredded cheese.
Easy Pie Crust (yield single crust)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
6 to 8 Tablespoons ice cold water
Rolling Out Pie Crust
1. Sift flour & salt together.
2. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender (see below image) until shortening pieces are the half size of peas. If you don’t have a pastry blender, you cans use a fork or blend with food processor.
3. Sprinkle dry mixture with two tablespoons of cold water.
4. Mix with clean hands.
5. Repeat until all is moistened.
6. Form dough into a 2 ball.
7. Chill for 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Place a ball onto a floured surface & slightly flatten with hands.
9. With rolling pin, roll from the center to the edges from all angles until dough is 1/8 of an inch thick.
10. Turn pie plate upside down & cut dough an inch wider than the pie plate all the way around.
11. Gently fold dough in half.
12. Fold in half again so it’s a quarter of the size of the full circle.
13. Lay into the pie plate. Unfold the two folds until fully opened & push into the edges of the pie pan.
14. Use unbaked or blind baked (pre-baked) per the directions of your favorite pie recipe.
15. Save a slice for me!!!
@megganspicer on Instagram
Did you raid your kid’s trick or treat bag? Well if you survived Halloween, you probably deserve an adult beverage so combine these two treats with wine and candy pairing options.
Check out my latest YouTube video where I share some of the pairings I tried and my favorites. Not a vino drinker? I share a web site where you can find not only wine/candy pairings but for beer and booze too. YouTube Video Link: https://youtu.be/loh1dexiuS4
Halloween Candy & Wine Pairings
There are several wine categories but I chose 4 to sample pairings. Below are each category & some of the recommended pairings I found for each:
Bold Red (I used Malbec)
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
Medium Red (I used Merlot)
Dry White (I used Pinot Grigio)
Sweet White (I used Moscato)
- Sweet Tarts
- Candy Corn
Personally, I really Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups & Malbec combo. The rich favors really complemented each other. The other surprising favorite of mine (surprising because I’m not a sweet wine fan) was the Moscato and Sweet Tarts. It was a really nice pairing.
There are many pairing sites and articles online. Just Google the subject. Two I used were www.vivino.com and www.vinepair.com (which also provides beer & booze pairings in addition to wine). At your next adult gathering, wine club meeting or…do you really need a reason?